What is this instrument???

Hello readers in the blogosphere. Today I am posting a request for a little assistance in identifying this instrument that I recently inherited from my cousin, who sadly passed away last month. His name was Steve Spodak and he was a very talented jazz guitarist from New Jersey. My mother brought this instrument back for me to remember him by.
Anyways, the instrument is kind of like a shekere, but it isn't. It's a metal tube with a net of ceramic beads attached to it. It is very well made and the sticker on it says "Hand Crafted in Thailand". The manufacturer is unknown, but it strikes me as something LP might make. It seems to be best played by holding an end in each hand and shaking back and forth.

This instrument reminds me a little of the samba instrument; Chocalho de Platinela or Rocar. Like a rocar/shekere hybrid or something.
Any help identifying this instrument is greatly appreciated.